Tuesday, March 1, 2016

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Prior to this class I had refrained from reading anything written by Cassandra Clare. It was a matter of pride due to her fan fiction/potential plagiarism scandals. Plus I simply assumed the writing was garbage, as harsh as that may sound.

I honestly chose to read (actually, I should say attempt to read) this book for class because I wanted to rip it to shreds. I wanted to be right in my assumption that it was not worth my time. Considering I've been reading this book for the past few days and I am unable to make it past the second chapter I believe my original assumption to be 100% accurate.

Not only is the beginning of the story not engaging enough to make me keep reading, the writing is just plain bad. Scholastic places this book in the interest level for grades 9-12. Part of me feels like I would be offending a teenager if I gave them this book. A badly written, horrible book.

Working at a small public library as the YA Librarian, I know the teens that are regulars in my department. A good portion of them know I am in school an taking a class that involves me reading YA books. I asked several of them if they had read City of Bones. Though upon checking, this book has a high circulation rate in its time in the collection, it is not highly popular with teen in this community now. Sure, it has gone out a few times recently, as a TV show has just begun. However, the teens that I asked had negative reactions. Some based upon their reading of it, and others based upon what they had heard regarding the series and author. One teen went so far as to make a gagging sound when I asked if she had read it. I asked a page at my library that has only recently aged out of the YA department. He said he had made it through the first book and gave up only pages into the second, only having started the series because he enjoys this type of story.

I so badly wanted to be able to rant about all the scandals surrounding this author after having reading this book, but I was unable to even get halfway into the book, it was just that bad.

Maybe I'll give it another shot before class, but I doubt that will make much difference.


Source:
Scholastic Page for City of Bones

Scandal Info, in case anyone is unaware of what I referred to:
CS Monitor Controversial Authors

Refinery 29 - This writer has not let past controversies change her love for the series

bustle.com

There are many more resources that a quick Google search will pull up.

No comments:

Post a Comment