Thursday, March 31, 2016

Book Review: Cinder



Meyer, Marissa. Cinder. Feiwel and Friends, New York. [387 p]. [$17.99]. 7890312641894

4Q 4P JS

My thoughts on Sci-Fi books are the same as my thoughts on fantasy books. The book I just cannot get into. A show or movie? I'm there. Firefly/Serenity? Love. Dollhouse? Love. Ok, so basicaly Joss Whedon = love. And Marissa Meyer declares her love for Firefly in her bio in the back of this book. So there was already a little love before I started this book.

I've seen this title, and the rest of the Lunar Chronicles at work. They circulate frequently. But the previous librarian put a sci-fi sticker on the spines so I read a summary and never thought to even attempt to read them. They are insanely popular in my library - I had to put a hold on it just to get it for class.

It's sci-fi. I don't read sci-fi. I don't like sci-fi books. And yet I am totally in love with Cnder. Cinderella is not even close to being one of my favorite fairytales and I think this is a great update on it.

Cinder is a cyborg tasked with fixing the prince's android which may or may not hold some secrets. She would like to attend the ball, but as a cyborg who would want to be seen with her? So she plays it cool and pretends she has no interest in balls and would rather be covered in grease fixing various things to pay for her step mother's lifestyle. Her step mother would never let her go anyway. But Cinder doesn't really know who she is or what purpose she could really have in this world. Is she even from this world? Cinder is enthralling and makes it hard for a reader to put it down.

I have a little over 100 pages to go, if I'm late for class tonight it's because I had to finish and coudn't put it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment