Sunday, April 10, 2016

Ms. Marvel - Thoughts

Ms. Marvel is where I started reading comics. I began working as a YA Librarian and had read graphic novels previously (Sandman, Watchmen) but I had never opened a comic (and by comic I'm loosely referring to one with Marvel or DC characters). Upon some prompting from my boyfriend I figured I should at least read something since a lot of the teens that come in take out the graphic novels more than the books. So I started with Ms. Marvel. And from it I kept going (gradually, as I have way too much to read already).

The previous librarian had only ordered volumes 1 and 2. So I finished that up by ordering 3 and 4. After accidentally leaving Volume 1: No Normal on a chair in the department when putting something else away, a 6th grade girl I had seen often but not spoken too grabbed it. And read the entire thing before she left. Taking volume 2 home with her. And then she came in looking for 3. And then 4 (which at the time I had at home and promised to read that night so she could have it the next day).

Now this girl comes in every time I work to ask what book I think she should read next, or to return the last one she took so I can read it. She's also begun to come to all the programs and situate herself in the core group of kids that are usually there. For one program she brought five friends with her. All because of Ms. Marvel.

No comments:

Post a Comment